It's the top of a new year once more - everyone making promises to change ruts they've dug themselves into at the drop of a hat. I gave that up years ago. If you want to change something just do it. You don't have to wait for an arbitrary date to improve your life. You look at who you are, what you're doing and make the necessary changes that you think will improve your quality of life.
Tired of being overweight? Put the donut down now and start eating better. Don't finish off the box with the excuse that "Right after this one box, this bag, this container...." With that kind of mentality you'll never start - you'll just keep making excuses. This doesn't just relate to dieting, it's for your entire daily decision making.
Now, I know it's not easy. Habits are hard to break, bad ones ever harder. I myself am entrenched in the "never putting laundry away" routine. My clothes sit wrinkling in a basket mere feet from the closet that should be their home, but I never seem to find myself putting them away. I did good for a couple months, but there they are again - sitting on my floor, in the basket, around the basket (because inevitably I have to root around in there for ones I want to wear and that just up heaves the entire pile spilling socks and shirts onto the floor.) *sigh* What a mess. Eventually I can't tell the pile of dirty clothes on the floor from the piles of clean clothes that have spilled over. Now, if I'd emptied the basket right along, I'd have a place to put the dirty clothes and the problem would be solved. Seems simple right? I just can't bring myself to do it. I'll start today though. Tonight. Not because it's January 2nd, not because I'm making a resolution, but because staring at that pile of randomness this morning drove me crazy. I remembered how happy I was when I "kept my room clean" for a while. I could get dressed quickly (well as quickly as a girl "with nothing to wear!!!" can) and be on my way. It was a good feeling. I want that back, and I'm going to beat the lazy into submission and start this step to a new me.
Because habits are hard to break - even good ones, so I should start making more of those, right? RIGHT!
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmm, try this again.
We all need to be doing this. We need to make better habits for ourselves and stop doing the bad ones.
Post a Comment